Monday, December 5, 2016

Then and Now - Perry Granite (later Cooley-Wright), Waterbury, Vt.

Zooming in from a 1938 aerial view of Waterbury on the UVM web site produced this screen capture. The Perry Granite shed is clearly visible with its "Rock of Ages" lettering on the roof:
Eventually this building would house the Cooley-Wright Manufacturing Co foundry. Google maps street view of the building. It's in pretty good shape considering how long it's been around.
The granite shed is inching closer to the top of the "to build" list. (I want to complete the buildings to the left of track in the aerial view first).  I'm planning to include the rooftop lettering - hope I can come with an easy way to recreate it.

2 comments:

Simon Dunkley said...

Re the roof lettering, what about painting the roof with a hard gloss white paint, then putting dryprint lettering down, followed but the base roof colour, and then picking off the dryprint? It may come away when rubbed gently with a soft pencil eraser.

Just a thought: not done it myself.

Simon

CVSNE said...

I think it would work, but the biggest challenge is going to be to find the right size and style of lettering. My wife gave me some self-adhesive thin paper called "frisket"
http://www.allartsupplies.com/item.php?articleId=3118
(she uses it for her paintings). I'm going to trace over the prototype lettering and then use that to cut a stencil.
If it works, will share the results here.