Sunday, November 17, 2013

Welcome to Everett sign


It's a friendly place to hang your hat. 
I was making some signs for the Waterbury feed mill (see previous post). While shaking the rust off my Photoshop/Illustrator skills I decided to make a "Welcome" sign for Everett. 
I spotted the prototype sign - as campy as they get - outside Bellows Falls a number of years ago. I didn't take a picture of it at the time, but thought it was neat. I forgot all about it until I came across a picture of it on the internet!
Problem is I don't have Bellows Falls on my layout. Some work with the Clone Stamp tool in Photoshop erased the "Bellows Falls" lettering. I also cropped the oddly shaped "wood" frame painted around the perimeter, and fixed up "father's" tie, shirt, and jacket. 
Adding the letters to spell out "Everett" - with some drop shadows - completed the sign. 
This will end up "painted" on the side of a barn at the outskirts of town….I may even have the local police cruiser hiding behind the barn…a real "Welcoming Committee."

3 comments:

BDF said...

Hey Marty, love your blog. Apologize as I tried to find a email instead of posting in the comments. Anyway I was listening to a model rail radio show a couple episodes ago and you mentioned you are the former gunnery officer of Wisconsin. Several years ago I wrote a paper in Warship International about fast battleship gunnery during WWII and would to talk to you about your experiences if you are interested. My email is fischb22 at hotmail dot com

Best,
Brad Fischer

George Dutka said...

Great looking sign Marty...you did a great job converting it...since I plan to build an section of my layout into Bellows Falls I might just steal that sign idea from you...George Dutka

Dick said...

The idea behind the "Everett" sign is great, but it needs a tad more Photoshop skills using rotate and skew tools on the letters. At the moment, "Everett" doesn't look right. Note that in the "Bellows Falls" version, the "horizontal elements" of the letters are parallel to the diagonal edges of the banner. By using the "skew" tools, you can slant the letters in "Everett" the same way.