I spent New Year's day rocking out...
Lots of little rocks that is!
I spent a fair amount of time ballasting track - Made great progress, but there's still a bit more to go.To capture the look of a transition era mainline requires a three stage process -
1. Cinder fill on the sides. After that dries (by the time I worked my way around the layout adding cinders it was time for lunch, and by the time I got back at it the cinders had dried enough to proceed!)
2. Add the gray "rock" ballast to the main and passing sidings (spurs and house tracks get cinders...)
3. Still need to go back and tweak a couple of holidays and other spots.
Got everything ballasted from the north end of Randolph to the south switch in Richmond - I have no idea how many linear feet of track that is, but it's a lot. All that remains is Richmond itself, the south end of Randolph, and the passenger station at White River Junction.
Only thing that stopped me was I ran out of ballast!
Sorry for the somewhat poor DoF on these photos - I took them with my phone before I left for the office this morning, and apparently my hands were a little shakey from all the "rockin'" I'd been doing...