Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Peninsula Track Plan

I get a lot of ribbing from my fellow modelers for my relative lack of written track plans. I do draw plans, I just don't often show them since I'm a terrible artist and the plans I draw wouldn't make much sense to anyone but me.
So here is a special treat - the sketch plan I drew (the last of several) before starting the ongoing rework on the peninsula.
Key elements include
(1) The Waterbury station scene (which includes the Waterbury station, a feed mill, the CV freighthouse and a coal dealer)
(2) a mill stream scene - this will be visually isolated from Waterbury proper by a low hill and trees. The mill stream will disappear behind the trees and dead end in the woods. Along the mill stream will be one, perhaps two, old non-rail served mills. These are strictly for atmosphere - not traffic generation.
Working our way around the peninsula we encounter a simple grade crossing that features a small country store - and not much else.
Finally, we end up at the river crossing scene with the large truss bridge that will end up "buried" in the tree-covered hillsides.
Still to come is a way to transition from the hilly bridge river crossing scene to the relatively flat Essex Junction scene.


3 comments:

Bernie said...

Nice. I like the long section of single track.

Tore Hjellset said...

Hello Mr. McGuirk. I am sorry to post this on your website, but I don'thave your e-mail adress.

A while back I posted a question on the MRH forum that you were nice enough to respond to. Myself and a group of fellow model railroaders from Norway are visiting the US for ten days from the 3rd of October to the 13th, and we are looking for someone who would be willing to open their home for a brief visit to their layout. You mentioned back in May, that you might know someone who we could visit?

We are a bunch of friendly and enthusiastic guys (there are six of us), and all of us are experienced model railroaders with a common wish to be able to visit a "real American layout".

We will be visiting the Cass Scenic Railroad, and we'll also stay a couple of nights in Washington. I understand that you are based in Virginia?

I hope to hear from you regarding this, although I fully understand if you are hesitant towards welcoming a group of total strangers into your homes.

Best regards from Norway,

- Tore Hjellset -

Tore Hjellset said...

My e-mail adress is post@autoclassic.no by the way :)