Saturday, June 10, 2017

Bye Bye Bye ....

After spending several hours hauling bits of wood up to the garage, and planning to rent a pickup up truck and make several trips to the dump,  I opted to solve the problem of removing the layout from the basement the American way and throw money at it. So first thing this morning this appeared in the driveway -
Add "cost of having a junk hauling company remove the layout from the basement and haul it off" to the list of things that cost more with a large layout. Less than an hour after they arrived what had started life as my "dream layout" looked like this:
I am still rather depressed about the whole thing, so I'm going to stop here and say this hereby closes the book on what will be from now on referred to as "the last layout."

6 comments:

Mike Cougill said...

It does give one pause to think.

Mike

Brian C. Johnson said...

I just wanted to chime in, as a long time lurker on your blog, that I REALLY appreciate all the work you've put in to document your time in the hobby. I know the effort it takes to post regularly, take pictures, and so on. It can be quite a headache! And now, with no layout, perhaps even harder to make these posts.

Thank you for being so generous with your time, and sharing your journey with us. I look forward to the future 'last layout'!

PS: I agree with Trevor. My current layout is 8 feet long, has one turnout, and can occupy a pair of operators for about an hour, in real time. It has allowed me to stretch my skills, practice all sorts of scenery techniques, and experiment with full operations (all the bells and whistles...literally!)

Roger Sekera said...

Marty

I sense that seeing a model railroad cut up and disappearing down the street may be equivalent to a sailboat doing the same (as I've done that) but savour the pride, joy and achievement and then get on it and build a new one, one that you like.

Bernie said...

Hey is that a backdrop I see? :)

I have never been one to shy away from starting a layout all over when the spirit moves me. But I feel your pain. As my Aquia Line is nearly completion after nearly 10 years of on and off again work, I am thinking about what is next. Lots of ideas flow through my head,. But as I go into the layout room and look around, I realize, gosh it sure is going to be hard to tear this one out.

I think it is best to anticipate what is next than to dwell on what was. Take the lessons learned and move forward.


Tore Hjellset said...

I am very glad I got to see your layout in person Marty. I am sorry to see it go, but I am ecited to hear about your new plans. Keep blogging!

CVSNE said...

I'm over it now and am fully immersed in the process of getting the house ready to list - and thinking about the next railroad, whatever form it takes!