Saturday, May 28, 2016

25 May Update

I realize it's been a couple of weeks since I've posted here - work has been crazy with another one of those "all hands on deck" proposal projects that have seen lots of weekend hours and late nights at the office. 
But I did take a little time off last weekend. Stic came by and we made some progress on the "transition" area between the layout and the new south end staging yard. I have the track centerlines marked, but haven't laid the track in this area yet since it seems to make more sense to get the background scenery completed before the track is in place. 
My task was assembling the bridge, abutments, and piers that will span yet another river. (The Southern New England Railway, like its prototype inspiration, seems to have more than its share of big bridges across rivers!). 
Since the new Walthers bridge kits became available a few weeks before starting this project I decided to use one of them. 
Verdict - the kits go together very easily, although the instructions are somewhat convoluted (a common problem with Walthers kits).  I'd say the result is a nice "layout quality" bridge - it's certainly not super-detailed but it does produce a pleasing result. In fact I was so pleased I ordered a second span (that arrived yesterday). 
Once I get the bridges painted and weathered I'll show them in a post. 
While I was building bridges, Stic worked on gluing up the cardboard web and adding the plaster cloth. Stic is an expert at plaster cloth...maybe it's his animal medical training?
While I usually use foam for the landform base in this case the final scene is going to be mostly grassy pastureland, not heavily forested hillsides, so using the foam would be much more expensive and offer little or no benefit. 
 On the docket for this weekend is a coat of paint and some initial scenic textures, and perhaps some additional work on the bridges. But Monday is a holiday I'll be spending at the office and I have plenty of other household chores that have been deferred by the weather and work. And I have to find some time to review my clinic for NERPM next week!





No comments:

Post a Comment