Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tree-covered hillside


I suppose it comes as no surprise that many of my November scenery techniques lean on my friend Paul Dolkos’ pioneering efforts.  However, since Paul’s former Boston & Maine New Hampshire Division didn’t include any really deep scenes depicting tree-covered mountains, I was on my own when it came to figuring out how to model a leafless tree-covered hillside. Or so I thought. After seeing Ted Pamprin’s C&O layout on our recent foray into New Jersey, I decided plain ole’ Supertrees were the way to go to quickly and effectively duplicate the look of barren trees on a hillside.
I created a small hillside starting at the end of the backdrop and running about 3-4 feet.  At a couple of places on the hillside I placed rock castings to create the look of exposed granite outcroppings – a common sight to anyone who has hiked through New England forests.  Although the rock castings looked a little jarring just sitting on the bare hillside, the addition of the bare Supertrees, a few Supertrees flocked with green to resemble distant pines, and some flocked with brown to look like oaks blended the rock outcroppings into the scenery and created a pleasing appearance (at least I think so!).  
Overall, I’m happy with how this scenery is shaping up.  After the roads and buildings are placed I’ll add some foreground trees, built up from Crepe Myrtle tips and other weeds with finer branch material, in front of the hill.  This will further blend the tree-covered hillside into the background.
This is a "background hill" - to give you an idea of how it will look in the finished layout setting, I positioned the Waterbury station and feed mill in place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment